Pages

Monday, December 26, 2016

The New Year is Approaching

I watched Greater last night and for those who don't know, it's a true story about the greatest walk-on in the history of football, Brandon Burlsworth.  He was born into a poor family, but dreamed of playing football for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  He didn't have the God-given talent of athleticism, but he did have the God-given talent of working hard, having determination, and setting an example.  I can relate this a lot to me.  No, I don't come from a poor family, not even close, but I do have to pay for competitive cheer.  I know that cheer is God's calling on my life and my team and the whole cheer community is my mission field.  Sometimes I find myself blaming my poor success as a cheerleader on my circumstances.  I don't have parents that pay for me to be in all the extra classes and I definitely don't have natural athletic abilities, but I can't let that stop me.  This movie reminded me of that.  One quote from the movie said something like this: Imagine someone is handed $10 million and another person worked hard to get the $10 million.  The person that worked for it gained more than the money.  They gained character.  In 2017, I want to turn my dreams into reality just like Brandon Burlsworth did.  I don't want to continue to just be mediocre.  Yes, I know I can set an example on my team no matter what level I am.  But I want to have a greater impact than that.  I want to set an example for cheerleaders and all athletes across the world on how to be a Christian athlete and I'd love to lead people to Christ through cheerleading too!  One of Brandon's coaches told him "You've gotta be the first one to get there and the last one to leave".  I want to apply that to my life this year.  Even if I can't make it to my gym, I can be practicing at home.  This year, I encourage you to go after your dreams like never before.  This blog will be about inspiring you to follow your God-given dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment